Velvet Kisses.

A few days ago there was a rare moment of sunshine, so I grabbed one of the many outfits I have been waiting to get photos of and headed to a place of iron wrought gates and arches covered in ivy. AKA. the front garden. In amongst the almost romantic and spring garden I danced around in a casual, dare I mention it, Valentines day outfit.

How did I forget the terracotta bricks and the holly? I have been styling skirts over dresses quite a bit recently, as shown in my last post, here. I think that when done with the right mixture of colour and textures it can look just as good as the trusty band-tee and jeans combo.
How I managed to have my eyes shut in every single one of the shots I did in similar poses I haven't a clue... Anyway back to the clothes, I chose my velvet skirt from Topshop over this lacy dress from Chelsea Girl @ River Island, because you can see the hem of the dress peeking out from underneath. For me that helped complete the outfit, making the look both seamless and both pieces stand out.
This shot reminds me of the disposable cameras I had so much as a child, they were so much fun it was guess work as to whether the pictures would be good or not. What I would really like is to have one of those to take pictures of my IB class before we all go our separate ways to university. Which is going to be in September hopefully!
 Dappled sunlight through the ivy leaves and arch, I am yet to decide whether I like the wear a jacket as a cape thing. I always imagined it to be a thing that happened when a guy gave you his blazer on a cold night and he walks you home.

I am a hopeless romantic until they buy me something and it isn't an occasion. Not even sorry.
How could I resist adding a preppy twist? On with the knee high socks (borrowed from my boyfriends sister) and my lovely reliable brogues from Clarks. I only just noticed the lawn could do with a trim...
One final note on this look, the jacket. It was featured in several posts last year, but I never really told it's story. This is important because the jacket isn't mine, it is my mums, but before that is was my dads. I love the way it looks on outfits like this as it extenuates the waistline!

XO, Miriam

P.S. Do you prefer the outfit posts without such an explanation or with it? I want to explain so I can go back and see my style progression and for anyone who actually reads it to be able to recreate the look with their wardrobes.

Related Articles

6 comments:

  1. I love the layered look of this skirt over the dress. I always end up looking like a balloon person when I try to layer things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I normally, sometimes things just turn out right.
      XO, Miriam

      Delete
  2. Love this outfit - the skirt is so pretty and I have the same brogues! :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randomly just found this post - your outfit is adorable! I'm gutted the skirt doesn't come with the lace though, that would be perfect! I love what you've done with it :)

    imogen // imogenscribbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would wouldn't it, I could wear lace more often then too! Thank you for commenting have a virtual cup of tea :)
      XO, Miriam

      Delete